Government College of Education, Aurangabad was established in 1954 to cater the need of training of untrained-teachers working in secondary education institutions (high-schools) in Maharashtra, especially in Marathwada region. In 1954, Government of Maharashtra took decision of opening 12 training colleges / institutions to run one year B.T. (Bachelor of Training) degree course. These 12 teacher training institutions were spread equally over three regions; viz. 04 each in Marathwada, Western-Maharashtra and Vidharbha regions; our institute being one from Marathwada. The untrained teachers working in secondary-schools were given admission in these institutions by sanctioning one year’s duty leave. These colleges were composite colleges running B.T. (one year degree) and Diploma in teaching (D.Ed.) course of two years. One inservice teacher training department (Extension Deptt) was also sanctioned to cater the needs of in-service teachers. These colleges were also running 21 to 28 days teacher training courses for science teachers. For this, Science labs were well equipped, well furnished with scientific apparatus, instruments, glass wares, chemical-acids and fixtures etc. The teachers selected for short term and long term courses were deputed by the schools and they were receiving the salary also.
Bring out Excellence in education through Qualitative and competency based Teacher Education Programs.
To shape the Educated Personnel into committed Component and Qualitative Teachers for achieving Excellence in Education through Pre-service Teacher Education programs.
To equip and facilitate pupil teachers with knowledge and skills so as to enable them to enhance the quality in education.